Friday, November 16, 2012

Sunset

Winter sunsets are the best.  I suppose it's because the air isn't usually hazy the way it often is during the warmer months.  This one was especially nice yesterday evening.  When I'm driving home from work and can see there's a good sunset coming up, I usually try to reach this spot before I stop and take a photo.  Sunsets reflecting in both water and sky are the best of the best.

I've tried a few other sunset-over-water spots around my cabin at Roundtop, but I haven't found any that are better than this spot. It has a lot to do with where the sun sets, as well as the water.  A larger pond just 100 yards or so away doesn't work as well because the sun sets further towards just one end of the pond, and I've never gotten the full effect of the reflection. At another pond, the mountain you see in the background blocks most of the reflection in the water.  The mountain is just too close for that pond.

Even this pond only really works well in the autumn and winter after the leaves are down. When the leaves are still on the trees, they block a lot of the effect of a good sunset.

It's really the sunset, the water and the open sky that are all needed at just the right time. That doesn't happen all that often, even when you find just the right spot.

5 comments:

Scott said...

Carolyn: We got a little bit of that shocking magenta sunset last evening, too. I even remarked on the sky to a co-worker as we were leaving for the day. But our sunset was nothing like your spectacle, and we don't have any water bodies for a great reflection, either. Thanks for sharing.

John "By Stargoose And Hanglands" said...

Great picture.

Carolyn H said...

Scott: Good clouds make good sunsets. I think all of PA had those that day. Even so, we have a lot more clouds than we have magenta sunsets, so that was something special.

Carolyn H said...

John: Thanks! It's good to hear from you. I miss your blog.

Angie said...

W.O.W. this photo is breathtaking!!